What is happening at Belgrave Station?
- a new multi-deck car park
- improved pedestrian access for people of all abilities
- enhancing the bus interchange
- new wayfinding signage, footpaths and landscaping
- new CCTV and lighting to enhance safety
What are the benefits of the project?
Upgrading the car park at Belgrave Station will deliver a range of benefits including more parking spaces, improved pedestrian access for people of all abilities and better integrating the township and the iconic Puffing Billy tourist railway.
It will also alleviate parking on neighbouring streets and will free up more car parking in Belgrave’s town centre for local traders, shoppers and residents.
We are aiming to:
- meet the demands of a growing population in the area
- produce a well-designed multi-deck that acknowledges Belgrave's character and environmental values
- improve accessibility and connectivity between Belgrave Station and the township.
When will the new car park be completed?
We anticipate it will take three years to complete the project, with the multi-deck to be completed in 2021.
We will keep community and stakeholders
informed as the project progresses.
What are the next steps?
This is an important project and due to the extensive
nature of the works, the complexities with the site and the fact that it is a
busy operational railway station, it will take time to properly plan and design
and ensure the needs of community and stakeholders are taken into account.
We will continue working with architects, technical experts, community and stakeholders through 2019 to develop a design that is compliant with all necessary regulations and the requirements of the railway operator, Metro Trains Melbourne.
There will be further engagement with the Belgrave community in coming months to inform the design of this important project.